Honest - free, innocent, simple and sincere expression.

Surrender - to give oneself up into the power of another.








Sweet, sweet girls!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Women's Rights

So, I have been avoiding, or maybe running from, writing about this topic.  I've talked about my experiences in Africa with a few friends, but that's about it.  I don't intend to start controversy or anything, but I need to be honest.... 

Swaziland is a beautiful, Eden-like country.  So, going there for a missions trip really wasn't very difficult.  The people were wonderful, the scenery breathtaking and we had quite nice accomodations.  "Suffering" is not a word that I would use for this particular missions trip.  However, as we observed and listened to the stories of the missionaries, students and people, my heart was broken for the women of Africa.

There are many stories, but the one example that stuck out most to me was the story of the cows.  All around Swazi, there are cows roaming the land.  Some are branded and some are not.  The branded cows belong to individual citizens.  If there are cows left roaming the land that are not branded, they are labeled the King's cows.  If someone then takes a cow, the punishment is greater for stealing a cow than it is for raping a woman or girl.  In fact, rape is a common practice.  It is partly due to the fact that there is a common belief spread by the local witch doctors that if you have AIDS, the way to cure it is by having sex with a virgin.  As we all know, this only exacerbates the problem.  Swaziland is the world leader in AID deaths per capita!

Women are also treated as slaves by their husbands, expected to do everything inside and outside of the home, while the man does nothing.  The women are not known by their first name, only Mrs. "husband's last name".  Then, there is a yearly ritual, The Reed Dance, in which young virgin girls travel from across the country to Mbane, the capital city.  There they are dressed in next to nothing to go and dance before the King.  The King will then choose a new bride to add to his household.  These are just small examples of what life is like for a Swazi woman. 

After returning home, one of the biggest awakenings was realizing the amazing blessing of being born an American woman.  I have to fight every time I watch something or hear someone talking about women being "oppressed" here in America.  I honestly start to get sick to my stomach and want to scream in anger.  I'm not talking about women who are in abusive relationships or bad situations.  I am talking about the average American woman who feels the need to complain about being oppressed by "the Man".  We are so oppressed by being able to work in a safe environment, being paid a good wage, having opportunities to grow and learn, being able to have a voice, vote, make choices regarding all aspects of our lives and live our lives in freedom!   If you are one of these women, my plea to you is to go.  Go and help.  Go and learn.  Go and see.  It will change your perspective forever.

1 comment:

  1. SO TRUE. I am so glad that you went, what an experience what a life changing trip.

    ReplyDelete